Friday, September 26, 2008

Debate Thoughts

Okay...I watched it with a group of people and could only pay attention to about 50% of it. My initial impression was that McCain did a letter better than Obama. Part of that has to do with my expectations - I associate Obama with being a great speaker, cogent, articulate, etc. Whereas, I see McCain as clutsy and stumbling with words. I was struck, a bit, about how McCain seemed to have quite exhaustive knowledge on foreign issues and it made Obama look a little bit like a guy whose merely read a lot of books.

I think McCain did a good job about discussing the issue he is passionate about - national security - and how defeat can be catastrophic to the spirit of an army. His linking of a working strategy in Iraq to a proposed new strategy in Afghanistan made sense to me.

I don't understand why Obama didn't hit a little bit harder on the issue of resources, which is particular resonant right now with the Wall Street crisis and how Iraq - whether it was a wise strategic move or not - is ultimately also an issue of resources. Why didn't he try to pin McCain on the issue of how much is it going to cost and try to frame Iraq as not the only issue that faces America today. I also don't like how he keeps going back to opposing the war in the first place. Everyone knows that already. It's like if McCain kept bringing up he was tortured by the Vietcong. Alright buddy, we know the story. Don't need to hammer it home.

Fact remains, I don't think debates swing campaigns. I like them as information and entertainment. I much prefer them to stump speeches. I like when they go at each other a bit more. Maybe I'll need to rewatch this at some point, but I doubt it.

Also of note, McCain clearly has contempt for Obama. He didn't even look at him throughout the debate. He just thinks he's facing some cocky rookie.

On a total side note, on my way home I was listening to the radio commentary and spacing out a bit...worked a long hard day and had a few drinks. I'm waiting at a stop light and hear a faint honk behind me. I realize I'm at a right turn and can go on read. No big deal, right? So I go. Then by the next light a big Dodge pick up truck with tinted windows comes in and cuts me off right in front of the red light - really purposeless. I laugh and shrug - it's one of those - all right, buddy, that was a totally pointless driving maneuver. I'm too tired to give a shit. I'm driving a long Lincoln and the Dodge is in front of me, so I decide to come around and see what this douche bag looks like. As I pull up a big fatass hand sticks out the middle finger to me. Que me? I think. So I keep going and we pull up next to each other at the next stop light. He's yelling and I can't hear, so I roll down the window,

"Did I do something to you dude?"
"Fucking turn right on red you asshole!"
"That's what you're mad about - me not turning right on red?"
"Fuck you, I'm in a hurry, I'll pull over right now and kick your ass."
"You're mad over not turning right on a red?"
"You don't turn right because of the fucking cops?! Fuck you, man, I'm in a hurry." (there was a cop there - but I wasn't even thinking about it)
"You're crazy, dude. Totally crazy." I'm laughing at this point. The guy had those really fat arms - not exactly causing me to physically worry.
"Fuck you asshole. I'll kick your ass. Don't fucking laugh at me."
"Is something wrong with you, man?"
"Fuck you!"

There's nothing else to be said, so I shake my head and roll up the window. And then he rolls up his window because I think he began to realize his own colossal stupidity. I didn't feel like it was worth pointing out his illogic - he was angry over the 3 seconds I wasted him by not turning right, but wanted to pull over and fight on the side of Lincoln, which would have taken 5-10 minutes at least. I mean - where do you find these people? Do they train retards somewhere and give them big pick up trucks and let them cruise Lincoln street for a couple hours on a Friday evening before taking them back to the retard asylum. What type of role could this douche-bag play in society?

Anyhow, he sped away at the light really fast because he obviously had to be somewhere important. This is the second time I've seen road rage in LA. One time in traffic on Sunset some guy got out of his car and came up to me - I can't even remember what had happened. Maybe I cut him off. He was literally out of the car and wanted to fight. I think I was like, "Sorry dude, my bad." And he was yelling and freaking out and going crazy, and was like "What do you want me to do, what's done is done?"

To engage some loony on the road over something tiny and ridiculous seems to me a huge waste of time and potentially dangerous. If someone is nutty enough to freak over a right turn on red, there is seriously something wrong with their brain. I mean, I'm all in favor of right turns on reds. If someone forgets - give 'em toot, by all means. If you're really mad, a contemptible look. That I could tolerate. But the finger? And the offer to fight? Come on now...

No comments: