Sunday, August 03, 2008

Casablanca

Rewatched it the other night when I was in the mood for some old fashioned filmmaking. Wasn't as great as I remembered it. I was left thinking - what was the nature of their Paris relationship. Did they shag or not?

But there is some great dialog and the elegant plot structure is a movie pleasure I sometimes forget about. It reminded me of why Seinfeld was so enjoyable...it wasn't just the ironic POV and the brilliance of the four characters and their dynamic...but each episode had brilliant structure and the story lines "all tied together" in the end. The pleasure an audience gets from such tidiness is similar to the feel of a well-constructed song. You feel emotional satisfaction when watching...but underneath, the nuts and bolts is basically good engineering.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

greg blake johnson....are you seriously unclear of their relationship on paris???

Greg said...

yes. i don't think i understand the details of the relationship and that has more to do with the sexual mores of a different time. in looking at it now, it seemed to me they just hung out for a week or so and fell quickly in love.

viewing this time, i guess, the paris affair felt a tad naive to me.

Anonymous said...

oh my god.

this movie was made in 1942.

it was during the code.

Greg said...

don't take it personal, cw. i too can read the back of the box.

as i said before...it "has more to do with the sexual mores of a different time."

some things hold up better than others. the sex in casablanca doesn't hold up for me all that well.

sorry, you want to hear fluff about hollywood classical cinema, feel free to sit in drew casper lectures.