Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Worrying

I've often wondered about the future presidents and authors and other famous people from our generation - how through email and websites, etc, we're going to have a remarkable amount of information about their personal lives, when they were young, etc. From that perspective, the information will be incredibly interesting and insightful.

But there is clearly a downside as well. Here is an article from Freakonomics about besmirching ourselves online.

This is a bit scary and certainly something I consider when writing my blog. I try not to advertise my blog - particularly to my workplace because I do worry about reactions. It's not that I'm ashamed of what I write, it's just once it's out there you have no control over the reception. And I know for fact people misread...A LOT...and sometimes I my writing isn't an accurate representation of my thoughts...because a blog - at least for me - is a draft, or open notebook, of thoughts.

Regarding other online besmirching...my name is plain and common - Greg Johnson. There are tons of us. I like this fact in an online world because it helps me hide within the morass of other Greg Johnson's who are out there online. I bet I don't even show up on Google pages - which is good!

No comments: