Tuesday, April 01, 2008

I Don't Like People That Much, In Particular Green Bay Fans

Maybe if you're reading my blog today you can tell I'm not in the best of moods. I blame sitting in traffic (oh yeah, I had to drive to Van Nuys to service my scooby).

But here are some cut and pasted words I agree with the Sports Guy about:

Q: The all-time interception leader who carouses, turns his back on friends, calls out grossly underpaid teammates for holding out and then holds his organization hostage himself is hanging it up to spend more time with the family? LOL. I'd mention the pill-popping, but then I'd be the hypocrite. I mean, who doesn't like a few extra Vicodin? But seriously, who else could do what Farve has done, negatively speaking, both on and off the field, and get away with it? I mean, its like the media took an oath of unconditional praise with this guy. I will never understand this completely. In a way, I admire him for it; for getting away with it. It's remarkable. I mean, how the hell did he pull it off? Really, I have to tip my hat to the man. See, and you thought this was an anti-Farve e-mail.
-- Jon Z., Los Angeles

SG: My God, there's rioting in the streets of Wisconsin right now! You know what's funny? Favre reached such a saintly status over the years I actually let out an audible gasp when I read that e-mail -- it's like Jon Z. was attacking Santa Claus or Dakota Fanning or something.

Speaking of Favre, he already has been replaced by Tyler Hansborough as the token "White Athlete That The Media Openly and Embarrassingly Fawns Over Because of His Work Ethic and Love For the Game." (Note: Steve Nash was the overwhelming favorite here until Hansborough too over during the tournament.) For anyone who doesn't think there's a racial component to this, you're crazy. Just look at David West of the Hornets -- like Hansborough, he's a self-made player and a staunch competitor who plays with an inordinate amount of passion, an undersized forward who routinely scores on bigger bodies, someone who extracted every ounce of his potential and made the most of it. Well, have you ever read a David West feature? Have you ever heard announcers raving about him to the point that you wondered if they were related to him? No and no. I just think it's a little, um, peculiar. We'll see if this changes during the NBA playoffs.

Larry Bird?

No comments: