Sunday, April 20, 2008

NBA Playoffs

Watched a lot - too much - NBA playoffs this weekend. I think part of me has been needing a veg out weekend for a long time now...one of those weekends where one literally "does nothing," watches too much tv, eats things one regularly doesn't eat, like milkshakes, and doesn't drive around town (which can easily happen in LA because there is so much to do all the time and so much distance to be covered). I did not fully accomplish a total veg out. I did see the new Al Pacino movie, spent too much money at Bed Bath and Beyond, and played soccer twice...but it was probably the right amount of vegging for a general busy-body like myself. One thing I did accomplish was a large intake of NBA playoff basketball and have some initial thoughts:

1. I cannot root for either the Nuggets or the Lakers. I dislike a majority of the players on the court when these two teams play. The Nuggets are absolutely awful and lazy on defense. It's almost gross. AI is the only guy I can root for on the floor. They gave up 128 points in a playoff game when you're supposed to raise your level of play. Jeezus.

2. The Suns are totally unlucky and will probably lose in the first round, although they are also capable of winning the entire thing.

3. Philadelphia plays hard and aggressive and despite not being a good scoring or free throw shooting team, has won me over with their style of play. I'd root for them, except I think the Pistons are the only one's in the East with chance to give the Celtics a series.

4. I'd like to see Washington give Cleveland a good series after talking all that trash. It would be boring to see LaBron woop up on them. At least with the trash talking it shows they are up to play.

5. I probably won't miss a game of the New Orleans - Dallas, Nuggets-Lakers, or Suns-Spurs.

6. The only teams in the East I'll pay attention to: Boston, Detroit, Philly.

7. The Lakers have the easiest path to the finals one could possibly conceive given the strength of the West. Missing Golden State in the first round - totally lucky. They'll beat the Nuggets in 5 or 6, play the Jazz, and then get the winner of Dallas-NO-Pho-Spurs, any one of which could give the Lakers a tough series.

8. Point Guard is replacing power forward and shooting guard as the tony position. Chris Paul, Steve Nash, Andre Miller, Deron Williams, Chauncy Billups all the unquestioned leaders of their teams.

No comments: