Sunday, October 21, 2007

Home: Investment or Something Else

An interesting article on a couple dissatisfied with their home building choices.

The gist of the article suggests that the more recent conventional wisdom of the "home as an investment" is flawed, particularly when the housing market is poised to drop in value over the next couple of years.

As I get closer to my 30s, this is something I've started to think about a little more...and I remember asking my dad about this kind of stuff in my early 20s as I was somewhat thinking about real estate and investing and so forth. He rightly talked about a home being something a lot different than an investment - that fundamentally it a place to live...and for many people, a shared space to raise a family. The investment component is tertiary.

No comments: