Thursday, September 13, 2007

A Fine Question

Nate asks: "When are you going to walk the walk instead of just talking the talk? Put simply, you yourself aren't mustering any energy or fortitude to fight the foes in question, so it seems strange you would chastise others for a similar lack of action. I'm not calling you a chickenhawk. I just don't get the disproportionate sense of outrage."

His question is in regards to a particular post, but could pretty much apply to all I've written on the WOT on this blog. And it is a fine question I don't mind answering - and appreciate the balls (but perhaps not the sentiment) Nate shows in asking it. Nate doesn't come out and say it, but as I understand it, he's asking - "Why aren't you serving?"

Basically, I'm not a warrior. In the same way that I'm not a lawyer or not a doctor or a football player. Maybe I could be a warrior, if it were put to me. Likewise, I probably could be a lawyer or could have played football (albeit probably only at the JV level). Instead, I chose to become a filmmaker in the same way I chose to play soccer.

I think we have a lot a great soldiers serving our country. For the most part, they do quite a good job and my skill set and personality - in my own estimation - would not add all that much value to the military. Frankly, I just don't think I'd be very good at soldiering...in the same way I'm not all that good at water sports. Thusly, I think the military is doing fine without me.

Where else could I "muster the energy and fortitude" to contribute? I could join the FBI or the police. I could join the foreign service. I could join an intelligence agency. I could run for political office. I could join the fire department. I'm not sure what else...there are probably a host of other jobs that contribute to the WOT in some way or another. In some cases, I don't have the resources (run for political office), in others, the skills - foreign service (don't speak arabic). And others, I simply don't think I want to commit my life to doing the work, like becoming a cop. Shit, if I could, I'd privately finance a personal quest to hunt down and kill Bin Laden. But the fact is, I'm limited by my own time, resources, and ability.

As it is, I am expending quite a lot of energy and fortitude to try to "make it" in the film industry. As such, it is true, I am not contributing much, if anything, to the WOT effort. On a grand scale, however, I do think movies do matter to American cultural attitudes and overall can have an affect on American attitudes towards terrorism. I hope at some point in my career, I'll be able to have an impact on films I make and maybe some small contribution to the American shared cultural experience.

If I had had the time and resources, I'd love to learn Arabic and help the Arabs fight the Islamofascists, I'd love to run for office and help shape the Democratic Party's foreign policy decisions, I'd love to be a writer for the Atlantic, or be a professional tennis player. I think I'd even like to open a small deli and develop a customized sandwich menu. But I'd also love to be filmmaker, and unfortunately there's only 24 hours a day, and I like to sleep.

As far as chastising others for not taking action - I'm not really sure I do that. I chastise politicians for not doing their job well. I chastise other's opinions when they spout them off. I chastise self proclaimed liberals for not really supporting liberal causes. I chastise filmmakers when they make shitty movies. I chastise the 49ers when they play bad. But I don't chastise Mike Nolan for the Iraq war failures. And I don't chastise people for not serving their country. We have a volunteer army and I appreciate that some people devote their lives to serving and performing a duty. I also appreciate cops and lawyers and doctors and teachers and a host of other professions who do really important work. I am passionate about the WOT and am passionate about movies, moreso than the law or healthcare. I don't know what to say - maybe I should be less so.

I'm not sure my answer is sufficient, but it's the choice(s) I made. Maybe they were wrong and maybe they make me uncredible. Fortunately, everyone has the option to ignore me and my blog...which for better or worse, it seems most of the world has opted to do, save about 25 people a day.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't substantially disagree with anything that you say, and I tried not to make my comment an insult. I think it's an interesting conversation topic. However...

I do think it's a bit insensitive to say the military is doing just fine without you. In order to get the numbers for the surge they increased tours from 12 months to 15 months. The surge has to end next spring, even if the preferred strategy would be to keep it in place or increase troop levels, simply because in order to do so they would have to increase tours to 18 months. Additionally, it is widely reported that the army has to pay more incentive money and take more high school dropouts and less physically fit people in order to meet recruiting goals.

None of this means you should serve. But to say the army is getting along "just fine" ignores the strain it is experiencing due to the extended Iraq deployment, so I wouldn't be so casual about this idea.

My larger point is that at some point outrage should be channeled into action. My grandmother believes in the war, and she helped put together a Victory fundraising dinner in the Bay Area to support the cause.

I pretty much hate Bush, but I don't let it stay at that emotional level. I found a candidate I support instead (Obama), have gone to hear him speak (last Friday), given money to him ($75 so far), set up a fundraising website so friends can give ($25 from one friend so far), and will probably attend local Obama meetings soon. More generally, I have given money to liberal blogs I like (Talking Points Memo, Washington Monthly), and other Democratic politicians in key races (James Webb, Harold Ford).

It is a combination of money and time, but I do feel if gives me more moral authority to bitch about Bush and conservatives. I am doing something. I'm not telling you what to do at all, but it seems like you could find more of a way to contribute to your WOT views than complain that we liberals aren't doing enough to advance liberal causes. I feel like I'm doing plenty to help America, thank you very much.

P.S. I list my activities and money contributions here not to brag, but simply to show ways people can get involved. And because I am proud that I am not as politically apathetic as I used to be. And to let Public Musings readers, including you Greg, know that if you want to contribute to Obama, let me know, 'cause I can make it real easy for you!

Don't you want to be able to tell your grandchildren you were involved in the election of Barack Obama?

Greg said...

Because I am a bad person. Look, maybe I could help the army or could work with homeless people, or do the peace corps, or be a teacher. There are tons of ways I could be helping the world more than I am. But I'm selfish and I'd prefer to work in Hollywood. That's the plain truth.

As for the tactical details about army recruiting and so forth, I don't know much about it. If we're short people, I suggest paying more and recruiting better. If that doesn't work, perhaps a draft should be discussed.

I will make an insensitive comment, however, so long as the topic is raised....What is about the troops where everybody seems to romanticize what they do? Soldiers choose to be soldiers. It's a job. Part of the gig means if there is a war, you fight. If morale is low, that is bad management. If there is too much work, we should hire more people or more able people. I know some soldiers are asked to sacrifice their lives - but no offense, but that's what being a soldier is and always has been....so this idea that we're sending them over there against their will is a little bit disingenuous.

It's sort of like asking me to direct a project and then I get out there and it turns out to be tough and then saying, "Gee, I didn't know that..well...you expected me to shoot a movie here." It's like, yeah, it's tough...but what else are we gonna do? Packing up our bags and going home is one option. The other is staying and trying to figure it out. It all depends on the situation.

As for the rest, I'm not sure what you are asking. Are you asking me for money? Or are you saying I should put on a fundraiser for George Bush. I guess it doesn't matter because the answer to both questions is no. For several reasons. There are a lot of things I'd donate to before a candidate - any candidate. One of them is my IRA account. Another is my grad school loans. Another is to a new bed. After that, maybe we can talk, but believe me, presidential candidates are pretty low on my list, so it's probably not worth your time trying to convince me.

And maybe that gives you more moral authority to bitch. But thank god blogger doesn't only give accounts to those with a 75 on the moral authority scale.

Anonymous said...

For Christ sake, I know it's your blog and you can do whatever you want and there's nothing wrong with that.

You say:

"As for the tactical details about army recruiting and so forth, I don't know much about it."

This is the reason why your outrage at the apathy of Americans rings so hollow. If you truly gave a shit about your war on terror, and didn't view it as way of blowing off intellectual steam on the internet, you might pay attention to this stuff. Your whole blase attitude toward the military isn't merely insensitive- it's lacking in seriousness. And frankly, it's the increasing exposure of attitudes like this that explain why more Americans are seeing through this whole charade of the war on terror. You don't really care about your cause. It's that simple.

Greg said...

Jesus, man, you seriously need to relax a little bit. I simply cannot read everything about everything. I am not an expert on the WOT. I don't have time to sit around and study the numbers and do calculations about more troops and the effect of 15 month deployments vs. 18 month deployments. I read some stuff and develop opinions based on it. You wouldn't have a problem with that if I agreed with you, it's simply because I have a different opinion that rankles you.

Because I don't think the WOT is a charade. So as serious as you may be, I'm not convinced your judgment is wise.

And just slinging a ton of facts isn't convincing. I don't even know what your position is. Do you want to withdraw all the troops and apologize to the world and pay reparations? Do you want to leave some counter terrorist troops in Kurdistan?

But whatever, I'm already bored talking about it. I've stated my position all over the place and don't have anything substantial to add to it. And so what if it amounts to intellectual masturbation? That's where good ideas come from.

Anonymous said...

I've said before, I get angry because I take you seriously. But for you to be so unaware of pivotal facts, and then write it off as not having time to "read everything", well, it makes it hard to have a serious discussion with you.

It's like your arguing on behalf of a film you haven't seen the wholeway through. You might be entitled to your opinion, but that opinion isn't complete.

My problem isn't that you disagree with me. It's your arrogance, and your disregard for the people actually doing the fighting that you see as critical. This is not a fact, it's just my opinion, but I think that you don't give the troops, or those of us who pay attention to things like troop rotations and factor them into our views of the war, the proper thought and appreciation. And I do think this lack of respect warrents anger, because it's this disconnected attitude by people back in the US that are prolonging the war.

But hey, sorry if I've bored you. Because keeping the blog interesting is more important than having something substantive to say about troops dying in Iraq.

Greg said...

I don't happen to think a 3 month different in troop rotations is what you call a "pivotal fact." I'm sure it matters to the people involved, no doubt about that. But whereas you think I'm offering an opinion about a movie I haven't fully seen...I see it as you nitpicking about the production or release schedule without paying attention to what's on the screen. It's like you saying, they worked the gaffers and electricians for 14 hours on that set - how can you go see the movie? And then you get mad at me for enjoying the movie. That's how it feels to me, anyhow.

So seriously, what is it with you guys? Some days it is a lost cause because of Iraqi politicians. Some days the troop rotations are too long. Some days we need more troops. Other days we need to bring all the troops home. At the end of the day, I never know what you guys actually think - the only clear thing is that Bush sucks and it's all his fault. And I don't find that position compelling.

As troops dying in Iraq, I don't think it's becoming to have a pissing match about who feels their pain more. I'll say this - I support their mission and don't want them to be there a day longer than they need to be. I'd love the Iraqi politicians to make a grand political settlement to put the insurgency to rest...however this kind of thing is never on schedule and so long as there are hopeful signs of progress it's worth sticking it out.