Friday, August 11, 2006

Ceasefire

It sounds good to me.

Point 5 suggests disarming Hezbollah. Now, with the world paying attention, maybe it can happen. 15,000 UN troops plus the Lebanese Army asking Hezbollah to give up their guns. That smacks of legitimacy to me.

Prediction: As the Israeli army pulls out and the Lebanese Army pulls in, Hezbollah attempts to instigate a fight between the two by attacking Israel and hoping for a response.

In this case, I hope they don't.

UPDATE: Powerline disagrees with me, and surmises the resolution is a joke and won't work.

I am probably naive, but I also think if Hezbollah gets put under the international spotlight, like it was when they kidnapped the soldiers, and with the world paying more attention, perhaps we and Israel can push, through the UN to enforce the resolution.

I've criticized the UN before. Now they have an opportunity to do their job. Why shouldn't they have another chance? Let's see how they do. Like in other things, I don't see a better option.

No comments: