Friday, September 30, 2005

Leykis

97.1 is my home in the morning because of Stern. When I get to my car in the afternoon, I can't help but hear the roaring voice of Leykis berating women and pussy-whipped men. I can't say I like Leykis, but I can listen to him. As much as I want to turn away the dial, there are too many commericials on the music stations and NPR is a crapshoot, half the time it's good, half the time it isn't.

Leykis is an interesting beast. His appeal isn't that he speaks the truthfully or perceptively, but rather that he tells a simple story about how men should behave and how they ought to treat women, in a bold and confident manner, backed up with circular logic. Any guy who's ever been hurt or wronged by a woman (and that's pretty much all of us whether we care to admit it or not) can be easily seduced by this angry voice of another man whose found a way never to be hurt by a woman again - treat 'em all like cum recepticles one no more important than another.

Anyhow, I'm betting Leykis is just one big fat ugly guy whose always wondered why chicks didn't dig him more. But he's figured out what a lot of right wing evangelicals and radical imam's have figured out - it's not content, but style - loudly, simply, candidly, with partial truths that help alleviate humiliation.

UPDATE: Google images prove me right, about the big fat ugly guy.

No comments: