Tuesday, September 27, 2005

The Big Mess

When I go out to breakfast, I often eat at Eat Well down the street. It's not even my favorite place foodwise on the street - there is this little place that has great, fresh food, but the people that work there make me feel a little uncomfortable. I like to go eat breakfast and read or plan my week, but they pay too much attention to me, so despite liking the food, I don't go that often.

At Eat Well, there is a big menu, always enough people around, so one doesn't attract too much attention. On a whim a couple weeks ago I ordered something new for breakfast - the Big Mess. Ever since that day, I've ordered nothing else. The big mess is exactly as it sounds, the leftovers of other dishes. They throw in a a bunch of potatoes, mushrooms, some scrambled eggs, onions, basil leaves, cheese, zucchini and spicy sausage. They mix it all together in a Big Mess and serve it up. Yum. It's like something I would make at home. I've never been able to finish it in one sitting, so I get 1/4-1/2 of it to take home and eat it the next day.

I like the food, but there is also something I like about the Big Mess philosophically, this idea of taking leftovers and putting them together to make some else altogether.

No comments: