Thursday, September 29, 2005

The Fight Against Boredom

I see it in my own life. Overloaded with activities and responsibilities - why do I make such committments? Is it fear of boredom? I think it has something to do with it. But does this fear have a cost? Do I not concentrate on one skill enough and end up being jack of all trades, master of none...I hate this idea of not being as good as I can be at something - say directing or writing, because I get too bogged down producing, for instance. Or am I leveraging my bets, diversifying my investments, so I don't become too dependent on a single set of skills? Am I being flexible?

Did I waste three years consulting and working with databases for naught? Or is the database a vital part of understanding the electronic age? Will working in that environment inform what kind of stories I tell and what type of influence technology has on modern life, or what technology is capable of doing and achieving? Did it give me confidence I can make money? Did it give me a sense of how to succeed in business? Or did it I waste my time when I should have been learning filmmaking?

Is filmmaking a waste of time and money? Chill man, chill.

No comments: