Monday, June 14, 2004

Hope? Or Maybe Not.

"I took a whopping paycut when I left law practice, and the gap continues to widen. Guys with my seniority are making well over a million bucks a year at big firms.

Best money I ever spent."

From Glenn Reynolds, who is thankfully back to blogging.

I guess we should trust our instincts, try to make smart decisions, and take with what we get. Trust the process. Hard work + doing something you like will lead to a worthwhile career.

And I do think this - there's no more security or hope in doing something you DON'T like.

My uncle, one of the smartest people I know, worked as a financial guy for the Black Angus corporation. As you may notice, Black Angus hasn't been very successful and he was laid off earlier this year. He is 58. He saw it coming, but the worst thing about it, he said, was that as he left, no one came around and talked to him to gather up all his expertise on the financial interworkings of various Black Angus restaurants. It made him feel like all the work he'd done for 25 + years was for naught.

How fucked up is that? And trust me, this is one of those guys who is intimidatingly smart. I don't know that many folks like that. So weird. I truly feel like it's the world's loss way more than it's his.

At 58, what's he to do? He'll figure something out, but it just feels like potential wasted...

And this is in the richest, most prosporous, most coolest country in the world, right?

No comments: