Monday, June 14, 2004

Film School

I start my summer job and summer internship this week, interestingly both with USC film school graduates as my coworkers and supervisors. My rent-paying job is at a supply company where I will be answering customer emails. The job pays great, the people seem cool, but I'm working at an industrial supply company. Odd. Even odder, my supervisor is a USC MFA screenwriter and the person I started with today is a USC MFA grad.

Man, there are legions of film schoool grads out there not working in film. Not only that, both of them only had about 1 success story in each of their classes. A success: directing a disney movie or writing a couple of crappy comedies for the studios. What the f---? Is this what I and my classmates have to look forward to? It's slightly depressing.

On the other hand is my intership, with another USC grad, older, working in documentary. He has one film to his credit. Here's the imdb link.

At least he's working. But he also doesn't recommend film school - despite the fact that he doesn't regret going. That seems to be the theme.

All of them admit to making mistakes after graduation. My family friend who graduated from the program says the same thing. She graduated with John Singleton - who made a great movie, but who I think is a terrible filmmaker, if you watch his later ones.

Anyhow, it's all very depressing to think 95% of me and my classmates aren't going to do anything very interesting career wise. That's just plain statistics.

No comments: