Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Logging

Film:  Star Trek Into Darkness

It seems like people are loving this movie.  Maybe I wasn't in a great mood or something, but my overall reaction is just -- eh.  They keep the action going and I suppose it fulfills the obligation of entertainment, but I dunno, I feel like I'm going to forget this movie in a week.  I didn't feel an emotion throughout the entire movie.  Reminds me of The Avengers in that way.  And the movies they borrow from were so recognizable - there were scenes ripped straight Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Godfather 3, A Few Good Men - not to mention prior Star Treks.  Am I the only one who feels this is sort of lame and unoriginal?

I guess this is just what movies are today.  They're designed to be worshiped.  And so you either get these situations where it succeeds and everyone has to get on board and worship it together (and those who disagree are viewed suspiciously) or the film doesn't succeed and you get this unthinking hatred that can only occur with outsized expectations.  Strange days.

No comments: