Thursday, May 09, 2013

Logging

Film:  Mud

Decent film, but nothing special.  Not a weeknight movie.  More of a weekend matinee to be watched when there is nothing else out there.  Another movie that made me feel depressed about movies through no fault of it's own.  On the one hand, it's a pretty good little movie and impressive for a young filmmaker.  On the other hand, the movie just isn't good enough to get really excited over.  And it's frustrating for me to think that only inspired movies should be paid attention to.  To me, average movies should be worth paying attention to.  In fact, they have to be, or we'll have no movies at all.  By definition, it is impossible to make only exceptional movies.

But craft-wise - writing wise - storytelling wise - the film drags big time.  Minor details don't make sense and only serve to put our main character in the situations our filmmakers wants him to be in, as opposed to an organic unfolding.  The theme is hammered over the head inelegantly many too many times.  And how many "I love you's" or "I love her/him's" should be allowed in a movie?  One?  Maybe two?  This movie had about 15.  Actually, just in saying writing that, makes me think even less of film.

Beasts of the Southern Wild was much more impressive.  I want to go back and re-watch George Washington at some point as well.

No comments: