Sunday, July 01, 2012

Logging

Film:  Blue Velvet

Don't think I've watched this film since college.  I'm not sure if it is Lynch's best film, but it is certainly his quintessential film.  I don't love the movie.  I think the movie means more to people who saw it in 1986 in the barren landscape of commercial cinema at the time - and especially if they were disposed to the avant-garde - or just at an impressionable time in their lives.  I'd argue Blow Up has the same quality.  Say you saw it in 1966 in some art theater in New York and the week before you were watching the original Fantastic Voyage or whatever else was out (just looked it up and actually The Good, The Bad, The Ugly came out that year).  But I think these movies mean more to people who viewed them in such a context versus me, who saw Blue Velvet as a douchy college student who really wanted to like it knowing the critical revisionism and late celebration of the film.  And I like it, don't get me wrong.  I just don't love it.  I don't get joy from it.  A telling thing for me, was what I remember from the movie.  I remembered the ear, the closet, Dennis Hopper sucking god knows was gas from that mask, and Isabella Rossellini seducing Kyle Mclaughlin at knife point.  Watching it the second time, I think I'll remember the same exact things.  They are the highlights of the movie.  Oh yeah, and the scene with Dean Stockwell.

People LOVE this film.  I wonder what that is about.

No comments: