Thursday, July 12, 2012

Logging

Film:  Jackie Brown

Oh boy, do I hate to say it, but this film does not hold up as much as I hoped.  There are a few great moments and obviously a fantastic soundtrack.  But the story?  The heist itself?  The ridiculously long takes on Pam Grier's face?  Come on now.  This is a fetish film and I suppose such films can be good from time to time if you are in the mood.

I really loved this movie when it came out, perhaps it was just like morning sex with Pulp Fiction, I don't know.  Also - and I didn't remember this at the time - they clearly cut out an entire storyline with Pam Grier and Michael Keaton having some type of borderline romance going on that gets referenced throughout the movie and then casually alluded to in one dinner scene.  I guess when spend 30 minutes on long tracking shots with single characters (no action), you need to find cuts elsewhere.

It certainly isn't a disaster and I watched the whole 2.5 hours even though I wanted to go to sleep and intended to just watch until DeNiro had sex with Bridget Fonda and then I found myself waiting until DeNiro killed Bridget Fonda and by then, I was like, might as well see what happens.

Robert Forester should be in more movies.  What the hell?  Do directors realize how old this guy is?  Can someone put him in some more movies before he dies?

4 comments:

PWD said...

Greg, what happened to you, man? Your ass used to beautiful.

Greg said...

perhaps the best part of the film was the meta-critique of deniro.

but yes, i've almost totally lost interest in being a QT fanboy and would almost go as far as to say fanboys do a disservice to their favorite filmmakers with the idolatry. see what it did to george lucas. watch christopher nolan. i already have kill bill and deathproof as examples. inglorious showed signs of shedding it. django might unleash him completely.

Unknown said...

Man likes Jackie Brown. Man becomes Game of Thrones fanboy. Man re-watches Jackie Brown and is restless. Long takes of Pam Grier's face now bore him.

Man's sensibility has been irrevocably altered.

Greg said...

man has a variety of tastes and enjoys new things. man not ready to jump into rabbit hole of nostalgia in early 30s, anticipates saving until ages 60s or 70s at least.