Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Planned Obsolescence - Phones

I left my phone charger at my parents house, so I went to the AT&T store to get a new one.  The earring clad male youth scoffed "we haven't carried a charger for that phone in 2 years.  Maybe try Radio Shack."  All right, I say, let's look at the phones.  It turns out I am "qualified" to get a new phone because my 2 year contract is up.  They don't have many regular phones these days and the ones they do, are all super large.  Plus, to get a new one would require a new 2 year contract.  But, it turns out, they have deals on smart phones - iphone 3g for free practically - all you need to do is commit to a data plan of an additional $20-50 per month, or as I see it, one stock share of Pfizer or Home Depot.

The incentives push you toward the smart phones.  To commit to 2 years of a regular phone is a bit silly at this point, unless I'm fully committed to never getting a smart phone.  Either way, I like my current flexibility and the small size of my phone.  I decide to do nothing and go to Radio Shack.

Radio Shack has one charger for my phone - a car charger.  They are about to stop carrying this charger as well.  Luckily it costs only $4.  $4!!!  Alas, AT&T is really structured to push you to buy the maximum.  Annoying.  How much do I really want to pay for internet, cable, phone, etc.  It keeps going up and up.  I suppose the services provided are better - but is it worth it over say things like medical care, retirement savings, going out to dinner, or fancy coffee drinks.  I think not.

3 comments:

andy v said...

Phones can still be had for cheap online and not through the carriers' retail stores. Buy unlocked etc.

I feel like my cell phone bill keeps inkling up toward the smartphone range, like they're trying to push me out of just a voice plan. And, yes, that is probably what they're trying to do.

Charles said...

The phone industry is helping you two evolve.

It makes me wonder what leveraging device Facebook will finally concot to force GJ into compliance.

You can't open a credit card account without a FB profile perhaps?

Greg said...

then i'll abandon credit cards.

i'm sure they are pushing us toward smart phones, but like everything else, once they have you on a smart phone, they'll push further with more data plans, more features, etc.