Thursday, May 24, 2012

Logging

Film:  Battleship

Saw it at a screening.  Screenings are always a different experience because you don't pay for the movie and you are around people who were somehow involved with the film.  So you aren't as hard on the movie, I would say, but they have this unreal quality to them, which in a way makes it harder to enjoy.

The movie is far from good.  It feels like a Michael Bay rip off, actually, so if you're a superfan of Michael Bay, you actually might be a bit peeved.  I'm sure they used the same special effects people as Transformers.  But what the hell, I don't need to gripe about every single studio movie as if the world is coming to an end because of them.  I was entertained in a few moments.  The Q&A with the screenwriter afterwards was one of the best Q&A's I've ever heard - he was appropriately cynical and practical and very aware of what the movie is.  He seemed to have a good time working on it and outlined pretty much why the plot was never going to make much sense -- and I'm paraphrasing him "we have aliens...who somehow are genius enough to to manage interstellar travel, but in the end, we have to beat them.  So how do figure that out?"  He was candid about the impossibility of it all, so they do the best they can.  They're working off a board game, for crissake.  And he had the attitude, of yeah, I want to work.  I pitched the job because I write screenplays.

No comments: