Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Netflix

The Atlantic seems to think Netflix is now a good stock buy. Sure it is, if you view stocks like you view clothes, as a cool trendy things to purchase and it has dropped from nearly $300 a share to $77.

They say "Netflix made a mistake, everyone makes mistakes." But to me, the mistake signaled something significant: Netflix is desperate and doesn't know what it is. This is what is worrisome. Neflix's strength was their competence and their move demonstrated incompetence. The technology of Neflix is not unique. Others can and will stream as effectively soon. And when that happens, it just comes down to content and Neflix already suffers from having lame content streaming. I'd say only 10-20% of things I want to watch are available on Neflix streaming. I only do it because it is relatively cheap and I watch a lot of content and I have an HD tv that can view it. Also, I still use blockbuster and Vidiots and I'll use Itunes if I need something right away that isn't on Netflix. They might have the biggest market share at the moment, but Blockbuster refuses to die, Redbox exits, and there is Apple out there, I just don't think they are as in as strong as a position as they and trendy tech-people think. This is why they did a desperate move and aren't in a good long term position.

No comments: