Monday, February 22, 2010

Are You Kidding Me?

A woman breaks up with a man for using a coupon to pay for dinner. The question posed by the blogger is whether a woman did the same thing, would a man break up with her?

Let me answer this without equivocation: No. Shit, I'd probably like the girl more because I know she wouldn't be a money suck and was generous enough to pay for dinner.

I'd also like her more because she wasn't AFRAID to use a coupon. I get that whipping out a coupon isn't the most romantic gesture in the world. But neither is whipping out a condom. But guess what - it's smart! I'd rather eat a nice meal with a coupon for the same price as a shitty meal without a coupon. Who wouldn't? A dumbass, showoff who is too cheap and too stupid to use a coupon. Since when did everyone in America become such diva show offs? Wannbe big spenders, wannabe playas/pimps/money bags? What happened to this place? Too many rap videos, chick magazines. It's gotten sickening...

...listening to a podcast this AM on Fresh Air with Dan Fante talking about his experience as a limo driver. He paints a portrait of among other customers, jobless, do-nothing 20 year olds renting limos and going to clubs in LA for the evening. I partook in that scene a tiny beat some years ago. What a joke. What evidence of a frivolous poseur culture.

Anyhow, busting out a coupon for dinner, I think, could be considered rather quirky and charming, especially if at a good restaurant -- which demonstrates taste.

I think the lady who broke up with a dude for using a coupon did him a favor.

1 comment:

Steph! said...

I totally agree. Using coupons is a smart tactic these days, and how frivolous could you be to think negatively about someone for wanting to save a little money? Besides, it was probably no more than 15% off. (Believe me, I use these things all the g-ddam time.)

I second your opinion on today's poser scene. Arguably, [young] adult culture (18-34) often presents this bizarre, bedazzled, Vegas-trashy, stripper, garbage culture -- at once excessive and chintzy. Like ghetto gold.