Wednesday, January 02, 2008

A Critique of the Wire

It is a political critique claiming the Wire is too bleak.

Which to me, is like saying, "I don't find Barak Obama entertaining enough." Like maybe politics isn't the point of the Wire in the same way maybe being entertaining isn't the point of being President.

My big problem with politically-minded people is that they try to everything political. For most folks, politics is a side activity, maybe even a leisure good. If you spend too much time trying to read the political message, you're missing all the good stuff.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There seems to be a great deal of bleak world view in entertainment these days. Sort of reminds me of the film noir era post WWII.

Both Deadwood and The wire (my two favorite shows of the last few years) have pretty bleak world views. As does Gone Baby Gone, which i just saw.

Also - "No country for old men" and, though I've not seen it, i'm guessing "There will be blood" will fall into that category as well.