Sunday, March 04, 2007

Watch Out For The Cheese Store

As I've mentioned on this blog before, the cheese store in Silverlake is one of my little treats to myself...today I opted to get some cheese for breakfast/lunch and headed down there. I always end up spending more money than I intend for bread and cheese and salami, but oh well, some things are worth splurging on...

But today it reach a different level, like the bombing of the Samarra Mosque in Baghdad. I tested this brittle french brie and really liked it. Liked it way more than the cow's milk triple cream french brie, so I decided to buy it. They come in rather small chunks and I figure, well, I'll just buy one for now. I order that, a little slice of Spanish goat cheese (also surprisingly brittle - to be eaten with beer - yum), a bit of salami made up in Berkeley and a bagette.

"That'll be $28."

Uhhh....excuse me? I basically thought I was buying myself breakfast plus leftovers, figuring the whole thing would cost $17 or so. This is one of those places where prices are not printed anywhere...and normally I intend to spend $15 or so and it ends up costing $20. Anyhow, this seemed a bit high, but I didn't make a stink or a question because, well, it just ain't the kind of place where you do that, and I'm not a cheese price expert. Plus, I'm paying for the whole experience of talking with the cheese experts and testing the cheeses and all of that. But nonetheless I looked at the receipt and it turned out the little french brie cost $15. The total amount of cheese is about 1/2 to 1/3 the amount of a small chunk of Tillamook chedder from the grocery store - which to me seems a bit pricey at $3.99.

Oh well, it cost about the same as a movie at the arclight and you can't eat that, right!

ps - I don't mean to diss Tillamook at all, it is one of my favorite brands. Good, consistent quality, not too expensive. Tillamook: Cheddar as Tropicana Pure Premium: Orange Juice. SAT - you can use that one.

No comments: