Sunday, March 04, 2007

My Grandparents

I check in with my old hotmail account every now and then and usually get sucked into MSN's little life advice articles like this one.

It's a story about a 38 year old corporate VP who quit his job to become an actor. I obviously come across a lot people like this having just attended film school. Essentially, the people who quit their corporate jobs to become actors start by working with me and people like me because it gives them a sense of fulfillment.

It seems to be the mantra of this generation - follow your dreams. I've obviously bought in. But I can't help but think of my grandparents to whom the very idea of following their dreams would be meant with a blank stare and shrug of their shoulders. To them, they were perfectly happy with A job with decent people, good neighbors, good discussions, a good family, bridge night every now and then. This greatest generation wasn't concerned with fame and glory and fulfilling their dreams. They were happy - probably more happy than our generation - just appreciating the simple pleasures. They grew up during the depression and saw the free world on brink in WWII, it sort of changes your outlook on things. We've only know dominance.

I don't know if it is an entire generation thing, but I know my grandparents were a lot less caught up in professional success and much more concerned with just being decent people.

No comments: