Monday, March 19, 2007

Discipline

One of the hardest things about choosing a career in filmmaking, I think, is the discipline it takes to work. One of the perks of trying to make this kind of career is that it is not a 9-5 life. One aspect of the 9-5 is that it forces you to sit down and do your job. People complain about it, but it's set up like that because it works. Filmmaking is not a 9-5. And when you're not on set, you need to be developing ideas and writing and hustling projects. It's hard to self motivate to do this - whether you are established or not, I think. I mean, there's a reason why Coppola hasn't made a movie in such a long time...

I've know about this discipline issue for awhile now and keep trying different things to try and develop some way of doing work and budgeting my time and energy. One of my new ideas is to only do personal emails in the evening and do only business emails during the day. I think that is a good start, one that developed from not having email access on a computer at work and noticing how much more I write notes to myself on projects and ideas sans email. Email and the internet, while useful for some things, are incredibly distracting.

No comments: