Tuesday, November 21, 2006



The downside of comedy. This is what happens when you try to push the envelope and fail. Hugely.

UPDATE: I've watched this about five times. It's so freaking weird. I have a lot of crazy, different thoughts, not of which are least bit concerned with whether this makes Michael Richards racist or not - sorry Chuck.

IF I WERE A MODERN FRENCH PHILOSPHER: This is a man melting down. The comic equivalent of committing suicide. You could feel how badly he hurt. I felt nothing but sadness. People have written similarly of the Zidane incident at the World Cup. How could he crumble like that? If the Columine killings forshadowed 9/11 with the suicidal urge to indiscrimately kill and inflict terror through suicide, what do these professional suicides forshadow? The complete implosion of the West? I have a feeling Mel Gibson's Apocolypto will hit upon the same nerve, the same urge, that something is rotten and sick inside Western Civilization, a self hatred so deep, we've resorted to cutting ourselves on our arms and legs. We need help, lest we jump off the bridge one day.

IF I WERE A COMEDIAN: It wasn't funny. And that, beyond being racist or anything, is the most hurtful thing one can say about a comedian. Comedian's live and die on the success of their last joke. As a comedian, Michael Richards is dead - until he comes back.

IF I WERE HIS FRIEND: I hope I'd be as a good as Seinfeld.

IF I WERE BLACK: I'd be proud of how the the audience members handled the situation. They were above it. Way above it. Martin Luther King would have been proud. As am I.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

man - i think that's some fascinating stuff to watch. You can see that he's both angry and thinks he's talented enough to push the limits of acceptable. Maybe somebody else could have made something out of it, he obviously couldn't.

Do you think this outburst makes him a racist? I would so definitely not. But, i'm sure there are those out there who would argue with me.