Friday, March 13, 2020

Corona Stuff

Schools and daycare around here all cancelled for 2-5 weeks at the moment.

Interesting twitter on why tests not available. Still don't get it. People in charge were slow to react on this front.

My perspective there has been pretty good public information exchange about hand washing, social distancing, etc.

IMO, cities like SF and LA ought to be planning for an enormous need for hospital beds, triage centers, etc like we were in a war. If Corona hits the homeless population, esp in SF, I could them overwhelming the health system real fast. The Presidio should be setting up tents, cots, etc now. I bet they aren't.

Grocery stores, Costco, etc, around here are crazy busy and there's a lot of tension and stress in the air.

Weirdly, having young kids kind of keeps you prepared for this stuff since they get sick so often, we have a lot of supplies on hand already. Still, if I see toilet paper or hand sanitizer, I'm buying a little.

My impression are people are hoarding too much.

I'm selling a little bit of bonds and buying a little bit of stock, which is probably dumb but I'm just that way.

The payroll tax cut seems to me a really pointless idea. I'd be more in favor of sending every American citizen $1000 right now no strings attached.

I'm hoping this 2 week *pause* buys us time to get good testing and some other best practices to get this more under control.

From what I understand, most young and healthy people will be fine even if we get the virus, but it's critical to not become spreaders of the virus because so many older people and folks with compromised immune systems are especially vulnerable. A truly great opportunity to behave as a good neighbor and responsible citizen and also be a model for kids and younger folks who observe how adults behave in moments of crisis. And it's a crisis.

No comments: