Sunday, January 24, 2016

Logging

Film: Top Five

I need to think of a name for the genre of content of which Top Five, Girls, and Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee occupies. It's something akin to memoir and it's not a development I like. Basically, it amounts to privileged people complaining...and trying to position themselves as victims to gain cultural currency. And they put their talents toward naval gazing as opposed to fiction. I occasionally hear cultural commentators talking about this kind of content as some kind of radical new development. Bret Easton Ellis calls it "non-empire." I dunno. Seems to me Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Henry Miller, Woody Allen, and JD Salinger all did this type of thing with considerable more skill and insight.

Anyhow, Top Five is the worst of all this stuff.

No comments: