Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Logging

Film: Selma

I was not a fan of this film, although the second half is stronger than the first. There are emotional moments, but I wonder if watching a MLK speech on youtube would be equally emotional. Much of the storytelling is not particularly well done. The transitions were non-existent at times, and I was often confused where we were and what was going on. Sloppy, I'd call it.

The thing that stood out to me - in a bad way - was the missing Coretta Scott King character. She was like a blank stare of nothingness. I had no idea what was going on in her head. And it seemed like the movie thought she was an important character. The irony is that we get this type of non-character from a female director doing the MLK character. And if we asked her, I think she'd say the critical relationship is between King and her, but who knows....

Anyhow, I'm incredibly surprised the movie is getting acclaim.

No comments: