Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Logging

Film:  John Dies At The End

Disappointing movie after hearing great word of mouth.  Why didn't people mention it with the caveat that it's really nerdy?  I haven't seen the Phantasm films or anything, so I didn't know anything about the filmmaker other than he's been around awhile.  What is this genre?  I suppose the best examples are the old Sam Raimi Evil Dead movies, but there are a lot of these kind of budget horror / nerd-hero goth, punk, kind of aesthetic.  I feel like there is a group of kids at every high school who loves this kind of stuff.  There are a strange set of values in this film and others like it.  On the one hand, they are kind of smart, with a complex grasp of weird theoretical physics, religion, occult, and even literature, history, and science.  On the other hand, they are an infantile representation of human relationships, in particular the nature of men and women and seem almost virgin-ish.

Part of me wants to lump these kind of movies into comic book stuff, but I think there is something different going on.  It is some kind of blend between comic book, horror, and satire.  The Crank movies are almost in this vein, but for action films.  I'd say the 2nd Evil Dead and Crank are my favorite of whatever genre this is called.

No comments: