Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Jordan at 50

A terrific article on Michael Jordan at outside the lines.  On what Michael Jordan used to do with his dad:
"The thing we'd do," he says, "we'd stay up all night and watch cowboy movies. Westerns." 
Jordan still watches them obsessively, and it's easy to imagine he does it to feel the presence of his father. 
One of his employees joked that she'd rather fly commercial than on Jordan's Gulfstream because a passenger on his plane is subjected to hours of shootouts and showdowns. 
"Name a Western," George says. "He'll tell you the beginning, middle and end." 
"I watch 'em all the time," Jordan says. "I watch Marshal Dillon. I watch all of 'em." 
"I think his favorite Western is my favorite Western," George says. "You and I have three we really like," Jordan says. 
"'Outlaw Josey Wales,'" George says. 
"That's my favorite," Jordan says. 
"Two Mules …," George begins. 
"… for Sister Sara," Jordan finishes. 
"The other one I like is 'Unforgiven,'" George says. 
"My father loved that," Jordan says.
This is why we make movies.

No comments: