Sunday, January 13, 2013

Logging

Various reading --

Margin of Safety by Seth Klarman.

The book sells for $1000 on amazon because it is out of print.  I found it on the internet - a pdf for free.  This guy is a super hot shot investor of the Warren Buffett style and I'm sure his book is taught and read in business schools.  The thing with investing - no one who has a real job can possibly be good at it - and everyone who writes knowledgeably about it has the same advice:  don't trust anyone.  So what is an average joe supposed to do?   Makes one long for the good old days of pensions.  Anyhow, I'll peck away at this book.

The Party:  The Secret World of China's Communist Rulers by Richard McGregor

Fascinating, but dense, book about how the Communist party rules China.  Don't know if I'll finish this book since it seems like reading for a Comparative Politics class in college rather than pleasure reading at the end of the night, but it is pretty fascinating.  Despite the power of the party in China - it seems to act sort of like a social club one needs to join to advance in their careers - I think the more powerful individuals get economically (ie rich), they more political rights they will demand.  In a sense, the more successful China becomes, the less powerful the Party will be.  Anyhow, this is my instinct.  Remember - most people in China still don't have their own toilets.

Lush Life by Richard Price

Fiction!  Dense reading - especially considering the book is ostensibly a police procedural set in hipster Brooklyn - but reading an interview with the guy and what kind of work he put in research-wise, it would be a pity not to at least give this book a chance (although I may have started it a couple years ago and stopped).  Not a page turner, I find myself reading slowly and carefully...rare for me these days.

No comments: