Saturday, November 17, 2012

Logging

Restaurants:  Soot Bull Jeep and Hiko Sushi

Went to Soot Bull Jeep last week and it delivered as always.  I've yet to find a better group dinner spot in LA.  You eat meat and drink beer until you are full and it costs between $25-30 per person.  Your clothes stink and you'll wake up the next day with a headache from smoke inhalation, but the pork?  The steak rib?  The bean paste and cooked garlic?  Worth it.

Hiko Sushi is arguably the best sushi I've eaten.  Not that I'm some sort of connoisseur, but over the years, I've been to some good spots.  But the overall quality of sushi seems to be going up as it has become more and more popular and main stream.  Thinking back - I probably didn't even try sushi until right after college.  And now?  It is as common as a hamburger, at least in LA.  Hiko is a small little spot in a strip mall on the Mar Vista / Palms border.  It would be quite easy to miss it.  You walk in and it seems like a middle of the road little sushi joint.  The omakase comes out on cheap, inexpensive dishes.  The beer costs $3.50 for a draft of Kirin.  But don't let the ambiance fool you - this place is NOT cheap.  We ate, not paying too much attention to the cost.  The Toro was like butter, the albacore delicious; but the best piece was a white fish with a piece of seaweed on it - I think the waitress said "like Sea Bass," but I can't remember what it actually was.  I don't think it was on the menu.  Really, all the sushi was delicious.  The only thing I could have gone without was the crab roll, which was just okay.  Don't go here to save a buck -- go here to splurge.

No comments: