Saturday, February 11, 2012

Logging

TV: Justified

The older I get, the more I come to appreciate knowing one's limitations. You see it in sports all the time, the type of player who knows his strengths and weaknesses and plays in a way to maximize one and minimize the other. And I've begun to grow very tired of the opposite, the type of player who thinks he is something he is not. I think the same can be said of films and tv shows. What I've come to appreciate and love about Justified is that it doesn't try and be something more than it is. I can see it being tempting, if you are making TV, to try and be The Wire or The Sopranos or any of the magnum-opus type of shows. But every show need not be this. Justified isn't trying to be an HBO show than happens to be on FX. It is just trying to be what it is - a more hard boiled Dukes of Hazzard. And it totally succeeds on this level. In fact, it is the only drama with commercials I've watch in years, pretty much since Friday Night Lights. Oh yeah, the writing, particularly the dialog, is really damn good.

No comments: