Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Is Anyone Allowed To Do Anything?

Rob Gronkowski "called out" for partying after Super Bowl loss. This, of course, is a follow up to Giselle Bundchen being caught on video "calling out" Wes Welker (more accurately, taking a stab at him for not catching the ball). And this, of course, is on the heels of an anonymous Jets player "calling out" Mark Sanchez and further on the heels of Ed Reed "calling out" Joe Flacco and on and on and on and on.

Is anyone else concerned? Are we allowed to say anything anymore without fear of being recorded and then lambasted in the media? I grant you, this is only relevant to public figures, but more and more these days everyone is becoming a public figure - at least in their own worlds. I mean, who wants to bet this happens on Facebook in the workplace at nearly every single company where people are candid and unhappy and drama unfolds (which is to say, everywhere)? What is my point? Ease up. Stop judging. Let private conversations be private. Why should the Giselle thing be public? How would you feel if everything you said at a Super Bowl party was recorded and the interesting tidbits sent to peoples who would be offended? Does anyone want to live in such a world? Do we want everyone to talk like the mealy-mouthed politicians who can't say a thing with any humanity behind it? Are we just going to turn into a tidbit culture where words are constantly being misrepresented to create "drama."

Mitt Romney suffered from the same thing...he was trying to make a point about the very poor being supported by an imperfect safety net...but you listen to the clip and can literally hear him being cut off midsentence to purposefully misconstrue and trying to create a narrative about Romney being unsympathetic to the poor. It's true, you say? Romney is insensitive to the poor? Perhaps. But so are the majority of Americans, including most of his accusers. They don't care any more about the poor than Romney, they only care that people THINK Romney doesn't care more than they don't care. This is the kind of bullshit existence we are creating for ourselves. Knots upon knots of dishonesty.

And it affects me also. Last weekend, I was accused of not liking dessert. What? I never said I didn't like dessert. What am I, a lunatic? I don't eat dessert every night because I don't like dessert as much as I feel other people like dessert and plus, it isn't exactly good for you. So while I like dessert, I don't eat it very much because I weight my satisfaction versus the cost, both heath and financial. And this gets construed to say "Greg doesn't like dessert." I never said such a thing, but it sounds more interesting, so people like to say it. Ridiculous.

No comments: