Saturday, March 19, 2011

Mutual Appreciation

I decided it was high time I watched a mumblecore movie. This weekend felt apt - not many plans - coming off a week that featured several nights out, including St. Patty's, and feeling as caught up as I can be on work (for the moment). And I'm injured, preventing any major sporting activities. I've been resistant to mumblecore movies because frankly, they don't sound very interesting or good. There are about 6 entire television shows, 10 novels, 40 real movies, and numerous sporting events, I would likely prioritize over watching any of the mumblecore movies if I based my decisions solely upon pleasure. That said, as a movie person, I feel an obligation to at least watch a little bit of this non-movement.

First things first - I actually have watched one mumblecore movie before - The Puffy Chair. I remember being impressed when I first saw it (after the first scene) and then never thinking about it again and if one were to ask me what happened in The Puffy Chair right now, I honestly can't remember. The distinguishing feature - it was made for $10,000 by the Duplass brothers. There was a chair in the movie and some dude who looked like someone I went to film school with.

I couldn't figure out what mumblecore movie was the one to watch. And I was limited by what was on Netflix instant (because I'm cheap and lazy). I started Hanna Takes The Stairs because Greta Gerwig was in it. I lasted 11 minutes and realized there was no way I was going to sit through the whole thing. When the most interesting moment in the first 11 minutes is a girl ignores a phone call from her boyfriend...yeah...I'd rather read a blog or write an email or watch a Charlie Sheen interview.

So, onto Mutual Appreciation, which I watched in full. And liked in parts. But boy, I can't really recommend these movies to regular people. I mean, these are almost not real movies...they are more like practice movies. It would sort of be like charging fans to attend my men's league soccer games. It is technically soccer, but it is more of a hobby than a profession. And that's fine, the difference being, in a hobby it is for the pleasure of the participants, whereas in a profession it is for the pleasure of the audience. I say this because when I think of joe-average-world citizen and the Platonic idea of "a movie" and what they associate with this idea, these films almost don't fit the bill. Maybe that is a crazy thing to say...maybe I've been in LA too long...and am becoming too indoctrinated by the system. But man, there is such a thing as blocking and camera moves and surprises and mystery and tension and irony. The story was just, I don't know, it felt like it was all just a pose. A style. And a cheap style at that. Ocean's 11 is all style, but at least it is good style. I felt like I was in some hipster second hand shop watching ugly over-educated people doing nothing and pondering banalities. I don't hang out in those store shopping for Doc Martins and corduroy jackets, so why would I want to spend 2 hours watching a movie in one?

But maybe that's just me. I really wonder who watches these movies. I can't imagine anyone outside the film biz or the hipster world pays any attention. Who has the time?

No comments: