Friday, July 30, 2010

A Nugget of Wisdom

I find this article a bit annoying in the overall tone, but there is a nugget of wisdom in there.

It turns out that while we did indeed own more, we actually had less. Less purpose. Less time for personal relationships. Less joy. But plenty of stress, anxiety, debt, and irritating clutter.


You know...I don't have a ton of patience for privileged Americans whining about their lives having no purpose and having too many consumer products. On this issue - I'm a goddamn Reagan Republican - if you make a choice to become a yuppie, forgive me if I don't give a flying fucking shit if it makes you unhappy. Moreso, I don't want to read about it or be expected to believe it is some type of existential crisis. It's not as if there isn't enough evidence or reading out there suggesting hyperconsumption doesn't lead to happiness.

No comments: