Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Box Office Bomb

Longing of the good old days of box office bombs.

I miss the time when we let these things die. Because I am a sicko with an overdeveloped sense of schadenfreude, yes, but also because I think that failures can be just as revealing as successes, maybe more so. One From the Heart is one of my favorite Coppola movies, as beautiful and intricate as a Faberge egg, and I'm a big fan of the bomb buried deep inside Apocalypse Now: That film's proximity to pretentiousness is exactly what makes it such a thrill. I think that Hudson Hawk is not a bad movie. I'm not so certain that Ishtar is a good movie, but it evokes the friendship between Hoffman and Beatty at a high point in both men's careers; there is something lustrous and familiar to their tomfoolery, like old friends who cannot leave a joke alone. Until Waterworld beaches itself on that supertanker with Dennis Hopper, the movie is possessed of a salty, wind-in-your-hair sense of adventure: Costner looks good against an aquamarine backdrop.


I do too. I think it is a revealing trend about our culture today - we don't want to accept failure. Especially public failure. The "trophy kid" generation are adults now. And so are the parents who raised them with the practice of everyone getting equal-sized trophies at the end of sports seasons to make everyone's self esteem equal. This is our world.

No comments: