Friday, June 11, 2010

World Cup: France-Uruguay

I watched much of the game at my work computer between lunch and it being a really slow day. Despite a 0-0 score, the game was rather compelling. Both teams looked strong. I was surprised how good Uruguay looked. This is a nation of only 3.5 million people - smaller than Los Angeles. They look better to me than the US team, but I guess we'll see tomorrow. They were happy to take a tie after going down to 10 men in the end there. But they had some chances and looked dangerous at times. Uruguay's #10 is a player to watch - Forlorn. I will check out their other games to watch him play.

France misses Zidane, of course. Should Henry play more? I guess he didn't have a good season this year and is getting a bit old. Both defenses were stingy in the box and disciplined. I wonder if these teams both will continue to have trouble scoring. It is hard to tell whether the lack of finishing is due to tough defense or not having enough poise/creativity in the box.

This is an evenly matched group A with in the top 3. Mexico needed a victory against South Africa. I think Uruguay and France will both beat South Africa, so Mexico is going to need beat either or both Uruguay or France to move on. Those games will be good - Mexico-Uruguay and Mexico-France. Mexico usually moves past the first round, but might not this year.

A nice little fact - Uruguay has actually won two world cups - in 1930 and 1950.

No comments: