Thursday, November 29, 2007

Slam

As long as I'm hyping up Obama, here is a liberal slam of Bill and hence, Hillary.

Quote:

"Every sentient being knew that the October 2002 vote was a vote for war. And on that critical battle – the only one that ever really mattered – both Clintons lined up with Longshanks."

This is true. And so did I.

The thing is...even though I know it's stylish to critique the neoconservatives, were they really wrong? I'm actually quite serious about this. I know American aggressiveness is ugly. I know it makes us less popular in the world. I know utilizing the military the way we did in Iraq is a turn-off. I see how it makes us look like a country with ambitions for power and empire and basically hubristic assholes. Believe it or not, I understand all that...and yet...look at the world today. Look at North and South Korea. There is a single historical difference between the two countries. In one, our military intervened to support a weak central government from being overrun by a retarded military dictatorship. Granted, North Korea still poses a threat to the world...and maybe our military being on the border has exacerbated it (although let's be honest here - it's just a kooky dude in power over there)...but South Korea is one of the most developed and exciting countries in Asia. I've been there. It's fucking awesome. And I'm sorry if it hurts everyone's feelings to say that the reason it's awesome is because the US military provided a bulwark against Communism way back in the 1950s, even though in hindsight maybe containment and our fears about a world Communist takeover were exaggerated.

Japan? Germany (east vs. west)? Come on folks, can we be honest here. The US military provided stability in specific countries post WW2 and those countries developed into world economic powerhouses. I understand Iraq was/is different. I get it. I know they didn't start a war with us. I know all the arguments against invasion. I understand the critique of the Bush Administration's handling of the war. I know many of our best and brightest minds think Iraq is the single worst US Foreign Policy move in our history (although for the best and brightest, I doubt they are that saavy about US history...Mexican American War, Spanish American War, WW1. Come on, when you think about it Iraq is hardly the first dumb war.)

Point being...we've learned from Iraq and will continue to learn. If we stick around and help usher in relative stability there in 25 years will Iraq look like South Korea? I sure as hell hope so. And frankly, I don't see why it is totally out of the question. Could it descend into hell on earth? Sure. But then, pray tell, what was it before the US invasion?

But one thing is for sure, the US won't be getting involved in another Iraq. It's been too hard and too divisive and we're over it. It just isn't worth it. And maybe our disinterest in foreign lands will help give rise to the next threat to democracy (who woulda thunk Islamic Fundamentalism would be more than a shit stain on our trousers in the 1960s-1970s?) but we'll just play catch up...again...and figure out our role in things.

I'm drunk.

No comments: