Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Wear It...

...but don't expect me to like it.

CNN: http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/08/21/hijab.godswarriors/index.html

On the hijab. I don't think it's cool to make fun of someone or call them a terrorist for wearing the hijab. It's tacky. But then again, so are all these Pinkberry's popping up.

To me, wearing the hijab is no different from a guy wearing a shirt with the confederate flag. Of course it should be legal, I wouldn't personally make a comment about it, or let it offend me that much...and many people have different reasons for doing it...you can wear it ironically, or because you feel is represents something about you, or you simply subscribe to the belief system behind the symbol. But I wouldn't do it. Nor is it something I'm particularly attracted to, like halter tops, clear heels, or a Frank Gore jersey.

On a semi-related topic...the veil. I hate the veil. HATE IT. The same way I hate Ku Klux Klan white robes and Nazi tattoos on people's faces. They are symbols of hate, each hateful in their own unique way. I don't think people should be arrested for donning these items...but they are symbols to scare people and I hate that attempt and am only not scared of them because they aren't powerful or en vogue where I reside...I feel comtempt for these items. And not thinly disguised.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can you elaborate on how the veil is symbol of hate?