Sunday, August 26, 2007

Casbah is Pissed and Why I Trust a Filipino Tailor

Yesterday AM my goal was to get two suits tailored and try this new coffee shop in Sunset Junction.

Finding a tailor was a pain in the ass because I bought this nice new suit and I didn't want to pay the egregious Barney's prices (nor wait a month), but at the same time I didn't want to fuck up an expensive suit by going to a shitty tailor. What a dilemma. So I google and find a Filipino tailor ranked "the best" by Cityseach. It happens to be 5 min from my house on Fountain, so I go there and say flat out to the lady - look this is a really nice suit - do you guys specialize in suits, cause I can take it somewhere else. The reason I was curt was the entire store is filled with Filipino dresses and tacky tuxedos...as if this store supplies all the Filipinos quinceanera parties (is there such a thing).

She says yes, they do it and gets her husband or bpartner and he comes out and confidently says he does suits all the time. He was fast and to the point and suddenly I become incredibly confident in his ability. After all, they are ranked #1 on Citysearch. So I hope into my old suit (which is still nice). I think I've had it since high school - can you believe it? But it is a classic dark gray suit and that just doesn't go out of style. But believe it or not, my waist isn't what it was in high school and I couldn't even put the pants on. So he took a look, liked how the jacket fit and said he could take out an inch in the waist and hips. Excellent.

Next on goes the Burberry suit I got at Barney's warehouse sale. It's pretty badass. He takes a quick look, checks out the jacket and pants, makes a few marks, asks whether I want folded over bottoms on the pants, thinks I should take a tiny bit in the back on the suit and maybe a little in on the waist. I ask him to keep the waist a bit loose, as I want to tuck in a shirt, I like it a bit loose, and I figure I might be putting on a few more pounds in the next couple years.

Anyhow, he says it'll be done next week...and right now, I feel good about it.

Next stop: Insomnia Cafe. The hot new spot in Sunset Junction. What do they sell? Coffee and only a few muffins. I wait in line. Where is the menu, I think? I want a muffin or a croissant or some other bite to eat. But no...they are out. Strike 1. When I finally get to the front I ask for coffee. They direct me to an entirely different line. I order a cup of coffee. $2. A man stirs with a whisker in this machine. He wipes away bean grounds with a squeegee. Amazing, from this contraption comes a single cup of coffee. It tastes fine. No better than Starbucks or McDonalds, frankly.

What a load of shit.

No comments: