Tuesday, August 07, 2007

My Solution to Health Care

TPM Cafe has some suggestions. I don't understand the industry, so I can't comment on where the wasted money goes...to doctors, to pharmaceutical companies, to salesmen. But I am a consumer and I know cost effective ways to stay healthy - eat right and exercise.

Proposal Number 1: P.E. Remember P.E.? My favorite subject in school. Run around, play kickball, freeze tag, hand ball, volleyball, soccer, basketball, wrestling. It was awesome. Now I recognize we can't force adults to participate in P.E.. But what we could do is offer a health care discount to people who participate in organized soccer leagues or yoga or attend the gym a certain amount. I'm sure we could figure out a system that nudges people and gives them one extra excuse to join that Thai Chi class. Plus, it would be fun!

Proposal Number 2: Discount food packages for delivery. I don't like going to the grocery store. It's too busy and I always forget to buy things. What if there was a grocery store delivery service that delivered "packages" of food. You make your own package and each item has a health rating. If you get a certain amount of health points per person, you get a tax write off. Maybe this is a tad complicated...

...but the idea is to create simple ways to make it easier for people to live healthier, better, and more productive lives that don't need to be big partisan battles over the grand mechanics of the industry itself.

No comments: