Friday, October 27, 2006

On A Similar Note...

as my last passage...my screenwriting instructor the other day told a funny story about how he was stressed out, fuming, and trying to figure out how he was going to get all his work done because he had landed three choice writing assignments. But he basically started kicking himself because he's like "This is the exact type of problem I WANT!"

I feel stressed out lately from too much stuff going on...but unlike earlier in film school when some of the projects had seemingly little future or present payoff, most of the things I'm doing now are good. I'm stressed, but it's the good stress, the kind of stress I hope will last.

Firstly, I've been majorly stressed the past week about doing a sitcom rewrite that is at least 3 weeks late. I feel bad, but finally sat down and reworked an outline this afternoon, and I think it could be pretty good. I sent it off and that will hopefully hold off the producer from breathing down my neck for a little while longer. This job will be paid, but I've already put a lot of work into it, and the hourly rate probably won't work out to be that much. But what the fuck, I'm getting paid to write. And that's been my goal. So here I frigging am.

Secondly, the video game project has persistent deadlines and I'm always behind. But I get paid for that work too and feel as though I do good work - for the most part. And again, it's like, you're working on a frigging computer/video game, that's awesome!

Thirdly, my classes - the pitch class and my writing class are loads of work, but it's all about coming up with projects and ideas and hopefully some of these things are the ones that will help my career get started, help get an agent, become my first directed movies, and so forth. So, to me, all of these things are worth the time and stress and because of that, I am able to keep pushing through stress and doing for the most part, good work.

Fourthly, business stuff. Finally, I've figured out what elements of producing I like versus which I don't like, and a way for me to focus on those. I don't love this stuff, but I like it...running SPO and trying to come up with a brand of movies to invest in...both things I'm doing that aren't directly making films, but are tangential to the business. I don't know if this stuff will lead anywhere, but I like it enough to not worry about it too much.

Fifthly, all the things that are on the complete back burner. I simply have no time for the following: Editing my movie from this summer, remixing an electronic music video from Phil's movie, writing a spec script to get a writing job/agent, sending any of my past movies to festivals, searching for a job after December. All these things I want to do, would even like to do, but there's no time...and I suppose, for the moment, that is okay.

No comments: