Thursday, May 19, 2022

Logging

Film: Memoria

For the 5 minute walk back to my car I didn't want to look at my phone for some reason. 

The theater in Pasadena was half full on a Thursday night. The line for other movies was out the door. The theater experience is coming back! The movie offerings this past month are the best they've been in years...The Northman, Memoria, Ambulance, Everything Everywhere, plus the usual franchises and kids movies...

As for the movie itself...my only thought is that there seems to be a new subgenre of films I'll call "Middle Aged Women Wander Around" that seem to be speaking to the audience. I'll put The Lost Daughter, Nomadland, and Memoria in this category. All feature middle aged women with some tragic past wandering in a foreign landscape experiencing ennui, a vague sexually charged encounter with a new man, and ultimately dealing with some revelation about their own past.

I don't understand why this film is a masterpiece (per the critics), so I'll chalk it up to my own ignorance. Maybe I'll try watching his other films...although I dread seeing them on TV...

For my money, in this "realm" of slow film festival cinema, I am most interested in the Turkish director Ceylan who made Winter's Sleep and Once Upon a Time in Anatolia.

No comments: