Sunday, April 19, 2015

Is This Lady Serious?

I can understand someone not wanting to have children, but I guess I don't see why society ought to applaud the choice.
Not having children isn’t selfish. Not having children is a perfectly rational and reasonable response given that humans are essentially parasites on the face of a perfectly lovely and well-balanced planet, ploughing through its natural resources, eradicating its endangered species, and ruining its most wonderful landscapes. This might sound misanthropic, and it is, but it is also true.
I guess she's never heard of the categorical imperative. I see it a different way -- if you choose to not have children for selfish reasons, ie you want to devote the time to yourself instead -- I'd say own it. I don't get wanting to behave selfishly and then resenting being called on it. Strange article.

No comments: