Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Ferguson

I guess I basically agree with this.

As to the various talking points:

1. Never met anyone who thought "black lives don't matter."

2. Are the people protesting the Ferguson incident the same people who celebrated the OJ verdict? I dunno why these voices are worth listening to...frankly, they seem delusional.

3. I remember talking about race as a kid in school and it seems like it has become a much more difficult subject to talk about. In fact, I'd argue it is almost impossible to have a discussion about race these days that isn't complete nonsense. Here is an example. Hat tip, Andy.

The writer suggests 12 things white people can do about Ferguson. I'm only half white, so I suppose I can do 6.

1. Learn about the racialized history of Ferguson and how it reflects the racialized history of America. 

Uhhh....okay...but I also have the autobiography of Ulysses S. Grant on my nightstand and I'd like to read that first. Along with a biographies on Christopher Columbus, Mao, and Stalin, so I'll get to the racial history of Ferguson after I finish, you know, actual important historical books I want to read.

2. Reject the “he was a good kid” narrative and lift up the “black lives matter” narrative. 

Is this a narrative or just a statement of the obvious. See above.

3. Use words that speak the truth about the disempowerment, oppression, disinvestment and racism that are rampant in our communities. 

Yes, Big Brother.

4. Understand the modern forms of race oppression and slavery and how they are intertwined with policing, the courts and the prison industrial complex. 

I didn't know sentence could make me fall asleep.

5. Examine the interplay between poverty and racial equity. 

Did it. Done.

6. Diversify your media. 

This should actually read: read what I read and agree with me, since it is impossible to actually BE diverse, otherwise you'd spend all day reading.

7. Adhere to the philosophy of nonviolence as you resist racism and oppression. 

Sure...

8. Find support from fellow white allies. 

Sure...although allies is kind of a strange word since you know, we're not nation-states, nor at war.

9. If you are a person of faith, look to your scriptures or holy texts for guidance. 

N/A

10. Don’t be afraid to be unpopular. 

Enjoy it, actually.

11. Be proactive in your own community. 

?

12. Don’t give up. 

Too late, I have.

No comments: