Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Anxiety-Privilege

On Lena Dunham haters not seeing her art.

I confess to being a Dunham hater, but not based upon her so-called privilege. I could care less about her privilege. And was she really so privileged? We're not talking about Bill Gate's kid. We're talking about a girl who's parents were artists no one has ever heard of. Since when does that constitute privilege? Does merely growing up in the New York art scene make one privileged? If people want to target "privilege" why not go after Megan Ellison who simply uses daddy's money to fund filmmakers she likes. Or perhaps Sophia Coppola who grew up the daughter of a famous filmmaker. But as a broader point: who cares? Talk about the work...

...and I'm not a fan of Dunham's work. I don't feel more connected to people or any type of joy from watching her show and movies. They are a slog. They peddle in cruelty masquerading as comedy. She takes the painful and ugly and shove it one's face like abortion protesters carrying around pictures of dead fetuses. I think the show is for depressives. And it makes me depressed to watch. So I don't. And I read Parker novels and old movies instead.

No comments: