Friday, August 30, 2013

Nothing to Worry About Here

Facebook announces new privacy rules.
Facebook plans to start using your profile photo as part of its photo feature that suggests that people “tag” you in photos.
Facebook uses facial recognition software to suggest these tags when photos are uploaded to the service.
In layman's terms:  every photo of you taken and uploaded to Facebook will be tagged and potentially tracked.

Orwell might was a bit wrong. It isn't Big Brother who is watching -- it is going to be Big Data Corporations.  And you're insane if you don't think police departments are watching people on Facebook.  I would if I were them.

It astounds me the degree to which I've accepted all of this tracking.  I realize the entire contents of my blog and email could be read.  I realize my cell phone can now be tracked wherever I go.  I'm not a criminal, so I'm not worried about getting arrested, but I'm a thinking, opinionated person and all thinking, opinionated people should be afraid because tyrants of all kinds - government, business, whoever - all hate hate hate thinking opinionated people.

No comments: