Friday, August 23, 2013

Logging

Film:  The Secret In Their Eyes

I loved this movie.  While watching the first half, I realized I was clearing space amongst my top 10 films of all time.  Could this really be up there?  Was I really watching a film better than Zodiac?  Better than Memories of Murder?  By the end, I'm not quite sure whether it ascends to all-time levels, but the film is easily the best movie I've seen all year and I can only remember No Country For Old Men - of recent films - affecting me more on first viewing.

The film has the greatest long take shot I can remember -- considerably better than the memorable long take from Children of Men and the far less impressive long take from Atonement.  And the end...I wish I wasn't looking for a surprise...and I didn't find it deeply emotionally satisfying, but it was certainly unique and made the film about something.

Brilliant.  I read the filmmaker directs American television.  I look forward to seeing his other, earlier films.

No comments: